|bewarethesmirk (bewarethesmirk) wrote,|
@ 2010-09-18 17:09:00
|Entry tags:||episode reactions: merlin, fandom: merlin, squee|
will someone please give morgause a whip?
A jumble of Merlin reactions. This is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.
I didn't muster up the energy to write an ep reaction last week, but comparing these two side by side is more interesting.
These first two episodes read so much more like a series finale to me - they're packed with action, confrontations and character building. Stuff happens. It helps to mend some of my injuries from the beginning of last series of Merlin, which I thought was just awful, what with resetting the Arthur and Merlin relationship. These first two episodes are so much more epic and tie pieces of the show together together. I like the idea of plot threads that are more concrete in a season, rather than just themes.
A general overview of thoughts before more specific episode reactions:
First, let's talk about Morgause. Morgause is a bad ass antagonist. Not only because she can fight and it's a well-acted role, but because she's not a cookie-cutter villain. She has her own motivations, she obviously
wants to fuck cares very much about Morgana and she's not straight-up bwhahahah evil. She doesn't just kill Uther for the sake of it - she wants Camelot to crumble and has very definite motivations - even if we don't know what they are yet. It would be very cool if Morgause had actually known Igraine. Which is not to say Morgause isn't power-hungry and just out for justice - I know she's duplicitous - I just don't think she's simple.
Next up: Morgana. I prefer shades of gray!Morgana to uber-evil!Morgana and nice!Morgana to uber-evil!Morgana. That being said, I prefer a Morgana that has agency and power and kicks ass. I don't mind if Morgana has to make some mistakes to get there. Her character has been sold short by her being entirely focused on me-me-me, but I know she's scared, and Gaius and Merlin have hid her own magic from her. So, in many ways, they've played apart in her plight. I, too, tire of Morgana's smirky-face (even if she's hot), but I do love Morgana working with Morgause (even if the power imbalance between them is all wrong) and I love Morgana and Merlin's scenes.
Third: More Gwen, please. Gwen is awesome and should not just exist for Arthur/Gwen reasons or for servant-to-Morgana reasons. Let's give her some more lines - even with Merlin, like in Series One - or have her express some of her suspicion re: Morgana to Gaius or Arthur. And Gwen does plenty of things during battle - helping to heal the injured, e.g. Let's show some of these things, please. I feel so distraught for Gwen re: the way Morgana is acting towards her - I really wish that Gwen would come to Merlin or someone - or confront Morgana about how she's acting like a total fucking bitch to her.
Merlin/Arthur - I appreciate the banter as much as anyone, but the straight-up bullying is getting old. I don't mind some of it because I know it's integral to how the characters interact, but I would like to see some maturing of the relationship (not even just shippiness - even just friends or for Merlin being Arthur's adviser, etc.) The second episode helped to restore some of my faith (okay, so I was squeeing like a maniac ♥). Let's continue with this trend. The bullying is meant as slapstick, but, dude, stop.
Merlin - Loved his confrontation with Morgause and Morgana. Merlin seems to finally be maturing a bit more. Though it would be nice IF SOMEONE WOULD NOTICE HIM DOING MAGIC FFS.
Uther and Arthur (just not together) - is just very sad. I sort of feel sorry for him, even while hating him. He's a fucking dick who needs to fucking see the error in his ways and be ousted from the throne. But Uther is just so oblivious. I really, really hope Arthur is confronted with all of his father's mistakes re: killing sorcerers and his eagerness for war and power. I hope Merlin plays a huge part in that. This is essential before Arthur can take over as king. Though, that being said, Arthur is looking more and more king-like.
Arthur/Gwen - Is a bit cuter, but still seems entirely too forced. I do enjoy the angst of them relying upon the power relationship (prince and servant) to back away from intimate moments. That Gwen trusts in Arthur is very moving - I just wish it'd been done more subtly.
Morgana/Merlin - Kicks ass. The scene when Morgana pulled Merlin into the alcove was fucking creepy-ass. I totally loved it. And I enjoy that Morgana was clever enough to use Uther's fondness of her to escape suspicion.
Ep 2 reactions:
- Merlin, why are you taking advice from the fucking Dragon? RLY? He tried to destroy Camelot. You can use him as a magic carpet, but don't listen to the fucker.
- Morgana is totally evil. Because she's a woman.
- Merlin pulls all-nighters with Arthur a lot, and as Gaius drifts off to sleep in his shabby little cot, he tries not to imagine what might be going on. Except when he does.
- THE RED CLOAK OF EVVVEEEELLLL (I stole this from b_hallward.
- Morgana, stop smirking. Stop looking so surprised when you're able to execute something smart. It makes you appear more stupid.
- ASH's creeped-out/traumatized faces are great.
- Colin, you're too thin, but your mouth and cheekbones look great on camera
and against Bradley's cock.
- I thought I would hate the Buckbeak moment, but Colin's face was so great, I can't help but to bask in the crackiness.
- The drowned!kids never cease to be creepy-ass.
- I'm confused as to what Merlin feels toward Uther. I think he pities him, maybe? Or maybe he thinks of Uther largely through a how-will-this-affect-Arthur lens.
- It's amazing how Gaius manages to walk this moral line between Merlin and Uther. I still like Gaius somehow, but he's so shady.
- Cendred's army looks massive and v. scary.
- Arthur's bedhead. *giggles*
Arthur: "I'LL HAVE YOU FOR BREAKFAST."
Merlin: *ignores the bad line* Yes, please.
- Gaius and Morgana scene ominous and well done. "I'm totally on to you, My Lady."
- Merlin/Morgana scene in the alcove: fantastic. Morgana's face is truly terrifying. I like her when she's truly confident.
- I love how Leon is now in control of all the knights. *giggles*
- Arthur sitting in Uther's chair! *loves*
- Merlin can read Arthur so well, and he's getting less afraid of admitting it, like when he acknowledges Arthur is worried. AND "I'm going to be at your side like I always am. Protecting you." EEEE!!!! :D :D :D And Arthur's "I'm doomed" face. :D
- Morgause and Cendred have obviously fucked. THE FEAST OF MORGAUSE'S CUNT.
- Angel's delivery of "I trust you, Arthur" is off to me. I wish they'd played this scene slightly different. And stop with the awful sappy music.
"There's no need to call me that." - LOVES.
- The way Morgause looks at Morgana makes me shiver.
I'm glad Arthur is so loyal to Uther. I want him to realize the error in Uther's ways, but I'm glad it's taking time.
- And compare the Arthur/Gwen scene with this fucking Merlin/Arthur scene. OMG IT MIGHT BE MY FAVORITE M/A SCENE EVER IT'S SO GOOD AND MERLIN'S SINCERE FACE AND ARTHUR'S SHELL-SHOCKED/FLUSHED/PLEASED FACE. EEEE.
- I'm so glad Uther came out to fight. Because that's totally what he would have done.
- The scene where Morgana wakes the dead is so cool. The light and angles are so pretty.
- And the dead looks creepy! Not silly. And I love the skeleton dude's little shrug. *g*
- Morgana and Merlin - I wanted so badly for him to reveal his magic to her, but I think it worked out for the better this way. I think Merlin might be the only person who can help her, but it's too much of a risk. The sword fight was awesome, but the rocks falling? A bit lame.
- It's weird that Cendred would retreat that easily when they have the body count to potentially win.
- I'm glad Morgana was clever enough to turn things to her credit at the end.
- Morgana and Merlin have very hot eyefucking.
- Do Gaius and Merlin always have that nasty porridge?
- I wonder how Morgause will respond to Morgana's failure. Also: it would have been cool to see Morgana doing actual magic.
- Next week: DO NOT WANT. KEEP IT AWAY.
WHERE IS THE MORGAUSE!FIC? AND THE MERLIN/ARTHUR FUCKING POST-"YOU WILL BE THE BEST KING EVAR" SCENE? AND THE MORGANA/MERLIN HATESEX?